The holiday “eating” season is all about enjoy comfort food – from delicious pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving to yummy cookies during Christmas. But if you can’t eat gluten, most of those delicious treats are off-limits.
This year, don’t deprive yourself of your favorite pie on Thanksgiving. Just make it gluten free instead! This simple gluten free pumpkin pie is made with a flaky gluten free pie crust and creamy pumpkin custard filling. And it tastes so good, you’d never know it was gluten free.
Makes 1 pie
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour
Ingredients for the Crust:
1 ¼ cup gluten free baking flour
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
¼ cup shortening, chilled
¼ cup plus two tablespoons ice cold water
Ingredients for the Filling:
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten free baking flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk until mixed.
- Add the chilled butter and cold shortening. Use a pastry blender or fork to mix ingredients until small, pea-sized pieces of dough begin to form.
- Slowly add water one tablespoon at a time, stirring between each addition. Continue adding water until dough begins to form into a loose ball.
- Turn down out into a lightly floured surface and work into a ball with your hands. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- When ready to fill crust with filling, place chilled dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a disk large enough to cover pie pan.
- Carefully place pie dough into pie pan. Note: This gluten free dough is very fragile and will crack easily. If the dough cracks or brakes, use your fingers to press the dough into the pan, filling in cracks by pressing the dough together.
- To form a crust, pinch the dough between your fingers in equal intervals, moving around the edge of the pie crust until a decorative crust has been formed around the entire pie.
Instructions for Filling:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, white sugar and brown sugar.
- Add pumpkin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and lemon zest. Beat on low to combine.
- Add evaporated milk and beat on low to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie crust and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Rotate pie and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for an additional 45 to 55 minutes. Pie is done when center is slightly jiggly and a toothpick inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Place pie on a wire cooling rack to cool completely before serving.
Whatcha think? Mouth watering yet?